Helping to Prevent, Detect and Treat Oral Cancer with your Downtown Whitby Dentist
Your oral care routine starts at home, but regular visits to your family dentist in Whitby are key to monitoring and maintaining your oral health. Not only do dental visits help keep your teeth sparkly clean and your breath minty-fresh, but they also help to prevent and detect serious health issues like oral cancer.
Oral cancer is caused by cells growing abnormally in and around the mouth. It can grow in the mouth, or on the lips, tongue or throat. Most oral cancer patients have a full recovery, but early detection is key.
Spotting oral cancer early with Downtown Whitby Dentist
There are many warning signs to oral cancer, but unfortunately, they are often missed at home. This is one reason why it’s so important to see your Downtown Whitby dentist regularly.
- Small red or white spots or bumps in or around the mouth
- Sores or patches in the mouth that seem to heal very slowly or not at all
- Long-lasting pain, discomfort, bleeding or numbness in the mouth or throat
- Changes in the texture of your lips, mouth, neck or throat
- Mobility problems in the mouth that impact the way you chew, swallow or speak
- Having challenges moving your jaw and tongue
Preventing oral cancer
While regular visits to Downtown Whitby Dentistry can be key to catching oral cancer early, there are certain risk factors that put a person at greater risk of developing oral cancer, and making positive lifestyle changes can play a large role in preventing its development.
Risk factors include:
- Smoking and heavy drinking
- Too much sun on the lips that causes burns or blisters
Your best line of defence against oral cancer is to live a healthy lifestyle, keep an eye on your oral health, and see your Whitby dentist often. Schedule your next appointment today. Our office is growing and always accepting new patients.